Park Jae-sang (Korean: 박재상; Hanja: 朴載相, IPA: [pak‿tɕ͈e.saŋ]; born December 31, 1977), known professionally as Psy (싸이; /saɪ/ SY; Korean: [s͈ai]), stylized PSY, is a South Korean singer, rapper, songwriter, and record producer. Psy is known domestically for his humorous videos and stage performances, and internationally for his hit single “Gangnam Style”. The song’s refrain was entered into The Yale Book of Quotations as one of the most famous quotations of 2012.
On October 23, 2012, Psy met United Nations Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon at the UN Headquarters where Ban expressed his desire to work with the singer because of his “unlimited global reach”. On December 21, 2012, his music video for “Gangnam Style” exceeded one billion views on YouTube, becoming the first video to do so in the website’s history. Psy was subsequently recognized by the media as the “King of YouTube”. On May 31, 2014, the video for Psy’s Gangnam Style hit two billion views. As of December 2018, it is the sixth most viewed video on YouTube, with over 3.2 billion views.
In December 2012, MTV noted Psy’s rise from being little known outside South Korea, to being hailed as the “Viral Star of 2012”. On December 31, 2012, Psy performed in a globally televised New Year’s Eve celebration with American rapper MC Hammer on-stage in front of a live audience of over a million people in Times Square, New York City.
In 2019, he founded his own company – P Nation. He signed Jessi on January 25, 2019. He also signed both Hyuna and her partner, E’Dawn, formerly of Cube Entertainment and Pentagon on January 27.
Stage Name: PSY (싸이)
Birth Name: Park Jae Sang (박재상)
Birthday: December 31, 1977
Zodiac sign: Capricorn
Nationality: South Korean
Hight: 170 cm (5″5′)
Weight: 85kg (187lbs)
Blood type: O
Youtube: officialpsyV LIVE: PSY
Daum Cafe: psylove1
– He has a sister; her name is Park Jae-eun.
– He is a big businessman, head of an international company.
– She runs several restaurants.
– He got married to Yoo Hye Yeon in 2006.
– He has twin daughters.
– He attended Banpo Elementary, Middle School and Sehwa High School.
– He studied business administration at Boston University but decided to drop out and pursue music instead.
– He then studied at Berklee College of Music (Dropped Out).
– He can speak Korean, English.
– Born in Seoul, South Korea.
– He debuted in 2001 with the single ‘Bird’.
– His fans go by the name PSYcho.
– He is a singer, rapper, songwriter, and record producer.
– As of 2019, his net worth stands at $60 million Dollars.
– During his school years, he was known as the class clown.
– In 2001, he was arrested for smoking and possessing marijuana.
– Due to being jailed he couldn’t be at his grandfather’s deathbed nor attend his funeral.
– He has drinking problems.
– He started listening to American music at 15.
– His favorite band was ‘Queen’.
– He made his first appearance on Korean national TV in 2000.
– He is the first Korean pop musician to be widely known in the west.
– He made parodies on Lady Gaga and Beyonce on Japanese TV.
– He served in the military from 2003 to 2005 but didn’t complete the full-term properly.
– He enlisted for the second time from 2007 to 2009.
– His biggest musical influence is Freddie Mercury from QUEEN
– The celebrity he wants to meet most is Tom Cruise.
– He was the first Asian artist to surpass 10 million subscribers on youtube.
– He can play the keyboard, sampler, percussion, synthesizer, and the piano.
– He was fined for his debut album
– His single ‘Gangnam Style’ surpassed the highest views count on Youtube causing a bug.
– ‘Gangnam Style’ has been hailed as a force for world peace and was recognized by Guinness World Records as the most “liked” video on YouTube.
– He is close to all YG artists.
PSY’s ideal type: “Psy’s ideal woman supports him and takes part in his life.”